Thursday, December 11, 2008

Bharathiar's birthday today

I am a HUGE fan of this guy



And today is his birthday.

I have tried translating one of his poems which has been my motivation and inspiration. I am sure you wouldnt be able to appreciate the nuances of the word usage and stuff when you read the english translation (that too by me :-|) But i just felt i should share this with my fellow infoscions.

Original:

தேடி சோறு நிதம் தின்று - பல
சின்னஞ் சிறுகதைகள் பேசி - மனம்
வாட துன்பமிக வுழன்று - பிறர்
வாட பல செயல்கள் செய்து - நரை
கூடி கிழப்பருவ மெய்தி - கொடுங்
கூற்றுக் கிரையெனப் பின்மாயும் - பல
வேடிக்கை மனிதரைப் போல - நான்
வீழ்வே னென்றுநினைத் தாயோ.

Transliteration

ThEdicchoru nidhanthindru - pala
chinnanjirukadhaigal pEsi - manam
vaada thunbamiga uzhanru - pirar
vaada pala seyalgal seythu - narai
koodi kizhapparuvam eydhi -
kodungkootrukkirayena pin maayum - pala
vEdikkai manidharaippOla - naan
vIzvEn enRu ninaithaayO.

My translation :
Running around for the daily food,
Chatting along into petty gossips,
sufferring with the problems of this life
and tormenting others with deeds of his own.

Aging away like all others
and falling meek for this drama in the end
Like the above comedy characters,you think i would fall away too???


Gives me goose bumps no matter how many times i read this!!
Its LOT more enjoyable when read in tamil!

I am sorry for all those who cant read tamil :)

1 Comment:

Priyadharsan A said...

hi,

have you come across this poem by the great poet bharathiyar
"நின்னை ஒரு வரம் கேட்பேன்..."

if yes please post it for me. i heard this lines on the go in radio and trying to collect/read the full poem for a long time.

thanks.